This assignment is an academic essay in which you will choose either one media outlet, one journalistic beat or one specific journalist or group of journalists. Your piece will chronicle….
Global Negotiations. Methods for Managing differences
Methods for Managing Differences
• Express appreciation
• Express optimism
• Restate ground rules (refer to Resolution Ground Rules below)
• Opening statement: State the issue in nonblameful, specific language and listen (I-message optional).
• Invitation: Help me understand how you see this situation (empathic listening).
• Question: Is there really a conflict or simply a misunderstanding?
• Engage in dialogue and enforce cardinal rules.
• Stay engaged until breakthrough occurs (look for mutual interests).
• Reward conciliatory gestures.
• Make a deal with the following steps:
o Step 1: Identify needs and interests for both parties
o Step 2: Invent options for mutual gain and select the best
o Step 3: Implementation plan (specific behavioral changes and steps)
o Step 4: Follow-up, when and who?
o Step 5: Consequences
Use “I Messages”
When you [behavior demonstrated], I feel [feeling] because [effect].
Resolution Ground Rules
• No distancing or walking away
• No power plays or coercion
• No personal attacks (attack the issue)
• Everything said in this room stays in this room
• Everyone must want to mutually resolve the situation; otherwise, arbitration may be necessary (be part
of the solution)
• Participants must agree to follow through on their part of the solution as agreed upon during the session
• Walk in the shoes of the other (try to understand)
• Set aside preconceived solutions and hidden agendas
• Agree on common goals
• Create and keep a safe environment
• Before meeting, write down a brief objective paragraph about the conflict.
• Write down (honestly) your emotional triggers in this conflict.
• Ask a colleague who has no stake in the conflict to act as neutral participant.
• As you start the meeting, state the mission of your company and team. Ask the group how resolving the
conflict will help better meet your mission.