After watching/reading the play “A Raisin in the Sun” Have you ever known someone like the mother in the play? How does the personal experience of your life affect the way in which you….
How did the US Army attempt to regulate male sexuality, controlling prostitution or limit the spread of VD? Why did these measures fail?
Questions for the Roberts Article
- How did the US Army attempt to regulate male sexuality, controlling prostitution or limit the spread of VD? Why did these measures fail?
- What were the problems with the French system of regulation? How did these failures impact US opinion of the French?
- What was happening in Le Havre? Why did the French suggest starting regulations?
- Why did the U.S. reject the proposed system of regulated prostitution?
- How did the US treatment of France mimic that of a colony? What role did American stereotypes of France have in this treatment?
- How does Roberts’ story compare to others you might have seen in books or movies?
Questions for Shik Chapter
- How have interpretations of the Holocaust changed over generations?
- How does Shik define sexual exploitation? Why?
- How and why were Jewish women sexually exploited and abused in Auschwitz-Birkenau?
- What sources does Shik use for this chapter Why were they ignored by earlier historians? Shik uses many personal accounts and oral histories. Do you think this made the chapter stronger or weaker?
- Why were some Jewish women so reluctant to admit that they had been raped in the camps? How does survivor’s guilt play into this? What about shame?
- On pp 233-39, Shik writes about the ways in which Jewish women engaged in sexual relationships as a way to ensure their own survival. Can you describe these relationships? How were they consensual or not? Why were they so difficult to talk about?
Please remember to also respond to a post about the other reading.