The nursing process is a tool that puts knowledge into practice. By utilizing this systematic problem-solving method, nurses can determine the health care needs of an individual and provide personalized….
How does David Boonan critique Jeff Jordan’s claim that the United States should not sanction same sex marriage because there is still strong public opposition to such marriages, especially from religious traditions?
1. How does David Boonan critique Jeff Jordan’s claim that the United States should not sanction same sex marriage because there is still strong public opposition to such marriages, especially from religious traditions?
2. Peter Singer says that the capacity for suffering and enjoyment is both necessary and sufficient to show that a being has interests. What does he mean by this and how does it support his contention that animals are entitled to moral consideration?
3. Explain and evaluate Mary Anne Warren’s claim that being a human is neither a necessary nor a sufficient condition for being a person.
4. Donald Marquis argues that killing is wrong because it denies a being the chance to enjoy a valuable future. Do you agree with this claim and is it sufficient to show that nearly all abortions are immoral?
5. Judith Jarvis Thompson uses a hypothetical case of a kidnapped violinist to argue that the woman’s right to control what happens to her body out weighs the fetus’ right to life. Evaluate her argument.
6. Louis Pojman asks us to consider a world where “every time someone intentionally killed an innocent person he was immediately struck down by lightning.” How does he use this thought experiment to defend a “common sense” defense of the claim that capital punishment deters? Do you think his argument succeeds?
7. Why does Michael Huemer think that the harmfulness of drug use to the user is not a sufficient justification for drug prohibition? Evaluate his argument.
Articles: #1 Same sex marriage and the argument from public disagreement, David Boonin
#2 All animals are equal, Peter Singer
#3 On the moral and legal status of abortion, Mary Anne Warren
#4 Why abortion is immoral, Don Marquis
#5. A defense of abortion, Judith Jarvis Thompson
#6 A defense of the death penalty, Louis Pojman
#7America’s unjust drug war, Michael Huemer