Wk 2 Discussion – Metrics and Information Visualization The most frequently used measures of central tendency for quantitative data are the mean and the median. The following table shows civil….
Introduction To Public Health
Unit outcomes addressed in this Assignment:
- Discuss how public health responds to the social determinants of public health.
- Explain the relationship between the social and behavioral sciences and public health.
- Infer how the social determinants impacts public health efforts.
Course outcome(s) assessed in this Assignment:
PU120-2: Describe the impact public health informatics and communications has upon the social determinants of population health.
GEL-4.02 Distinguish among different theoretical perspectives in the social sciences.
Public health officials use a variety of methods to collect demographic, cultural/ethnic, and health data in an effort to develop and implement effective programs to improve health outcomes. What may be a major health concern for African Americans living in New York City may not pose a health threat for Hispanics living in Houston, Texas. Likewise, citizens living in an inner city or disadvantaged community may be facing serious health concerns that pose no issue for those living in middle and upper class neighborhoods within the same city. Therefore, public health officials must use every tool available to them to determine not only what the public health concerns are, but where they exist and who are most affected.
- Develop slide presentation that has a minimum of 10 slides (not including the title and reference slides) with detailed speaker notes that addresses the following questions:
- Describe how public health officials collect data. ○ How do public health officials (locally, statewide and/or federally) compile the data that is gathered?
- How do public health officials disseminate this data to both the public and healthcare agencies?
- What effects does human culture have on how the information is perceived by the public?
- How does culture positively or negatively affect the perception and use of the health information provided to the public at large? How can public health data be used at all levels of government (local, state and federal) to positively impact the social determinants of population health?
- You are required to have a title slide and a reference slide. It is also advisable to include an introduction and conclusion slide just as you would when writing a paper.
- Be sure to cite all information throughout the presentation in APA writing and citation styles.
Please be sure to utilize the resources available in Academic Tools to assist you with meeting APA expectations for written Assignments.
Submitting Your Work
You will submit your work in a PowerPoint document to the Dropbox. For directions on how to submit your work and review your graded Assignments, refer to the Dropbox Guide found on the Academic Tools tab. Make sure that you save a copy of your submitted work.
Be sure to review the grading rubric for this Assignment in the Course Resources.
Resources: Academic Success Center
Writing Center: Creating Effective PowerPoint Presentations
How to Make a PowerPoint Presentation