Homework 5 Name: Instructions Please work independently Please note that all homework assignments must be submitted using the “Assignments” tool in Blackboard (NO EXCEPTION) Please keep a backup copy of….
During the meeting, review the Microbiological Diseases: Nonrespiratory Infectious Diseases Case Study below
- During the meeting, review the Microbiological Diseases: Nonrespiratory Infectious Diseases Case Study below:
- Mr. Jones is a 69-year-old man who was admitted to the hospital 10 days earlier with a diagnosis of acute diverticulitis. He was given intravenous fluids and empiric antibiotic coverage with ceftriaxone and metronidazole. His antibiotics were stopped after 7 days, and he continued to do well until today, when he developed abdominal pain, fever, and diarrhea. A diagnosis of Clostridium difficile colitis was made, and antibiotic treatment was initiated.
- Discuss the following questions:
- What diagnostic test would confirm the diagnosis?
- What risk factors did Mr. Jones have to acquire a Clostridium difficile infection?
- Why is oral but not intravenous vancomycin a potential treatment option for this infection?
- One person from each group should respond to this discussion with a link to their group’s recording and a summary of the discussion that took place.