Use the text, course notes and the linked video to define the following t21 terms listed in Seeing the Social World, the second bullet point. Using no more than three….
Which routines and tasks in these classroom excerpts allowed children to engage in purposeful reading and writing?
You will observe teachers discussing reading through these three videos. This assignment is worth 9 Field observation hours.
Watch video one Creating a Literature community and answer the following:
After viewing the classroom excerpts, consider these questions:
• Which routines and tasks in these classroom excerpts allowed children to engage in purposeful reading and
• How did the routines maximize students’ time to read and write?
• How did the classroom environment support effective use of the routines?
• What might you take back to your classroom after watching these excerpts?
• What can you learn about students’ literacy development by observing their participation in classroom
Optional Viewing (approximate times: 41:45–47:05): Find this segment
Video three: Word study and fluency
After watching this video answer the following questions.
After viewing the kindergarten classes, consider these questions:
• How did the kindergarten teachers, Sheila Owens and John Sinnett, incorporate elements of emergent
literacy in their lessons? Which elements were the primary focus of the lessons?
• What part did oral language play in both classrooms?
• How did each teacher use the word wall to support word study?
• What were examples of planned, explicit instruction in these excerpts? What were examples of opportunistic
• Both kindergarten teachers used whole-class instruction for their word study lessons. How did it meet the
needs of all students?
Video eight: Connecting School and home
After watching the video segment, consider these questions:
• How did the workshop participants’ perceptions of parent responsibilities compare with your own? What
would you add to their list?
• Workshop participants emphasized the importance of communication to support home-school partnerships.
How do you communicate with your students’ parents or caregivers? What information do you share about
After reviewing the video, you will provide a 3-5 page summary of your thought of these videos an there efforts to support reading.