You are to write a two page paper (full two-pages) double-spaced as answering the following prompt. Choose one of the four main characters in Salvage the Bones (Esche, Randall, Skeetah,….
In scientific research, the variable that changes is the _ variable
- In scientific research, the variable that changes is the _ variable. A. operational
- For most children, schooling is their first experience of A. social structures.
B. the subtle curriculum.
- Auguste Comte’s theological stage states that people A. saw society as a reflection of the failings of a selfish human nature.
B. began using science as a way to explain societal trends.
C. took the religious view that society expressed God’s will.
D. came to see society as a natural rather than a supernatural phenomenon
- Jake Doe is undergoing resocialization. What can he expect during the second phase of this process? A. Manipulation through rewards and punishments
B. Increasing trust and intimacy
C. Social isolation
D. Degradation and elimination of his former identity
- Which one of the following theoretical approaches asks how people shape the reality they experience? A. Structural-functional approach
B. Symbolic-interaction approach
C. Social conflict approach
D. Race-conflict approach
- Our self-image is based on our perceptions of how other people view us according to A. Lawrence Kohlberg.
B. George Herbert Mead.
C. Carol Gilligan.
D. Charles Horton Cooley.
- Low-income countries are those nations with A. a standard of living about average for the world as a whole.
B. a low standard of living, in which most people are poor.
C. the highest overall standards of living.
D. adequate housing for a majority of citizens.
- A man who doesn’t wear a tie to a formal dinner party may raise eyebrows for violating A. values.
B. social norms.
- A mental construct that represents some aspect of the world in a simplified form is called a A. theorem.
- Childhood is typically defined as the A. first 3 months of life.
B. first 12 years of life.
C. first 5 years of life.
D. first 2 years of life.
- A positivist’s approach to knowledge is based on A. religion.
C. social trends.
- Which of the following statements about Sigmund Freud’s theories is correct? A. The ego is driven by a pleasure principle.
B. Humans are born with a selfish superego.
C. The central function of civilization is denial of the death instinct.
D. Humans have a bonding instinct.
- Peter Berger described the sociological perspective as seeing the A. strange in the familiar.
B. particular in the general.
C. familiar in the strange.
D. general in the particular.
- The research method that’s used to specify relationships between variables is known as a/an A. existing source.
D. participant observation.
- The only known language to be spoken by only women is found in A. Australia.
B. northern Canada.
C. Near East.
D. southern China.
- Which of the following hypothetical scenarios best suggests the violation of mores? A. Jason, who’s British, forgets to drive on the right side of the road.
B. Walter is reprimanded for smoking on duty.
C. Cedric Frost is indicted for molesting a minor.
D. Rhonda, a Catholic, decides she should marry a Catholic man.
- Who coined the term sociology? A. Auguste Comte
B. Thomas Hobbes
- According to your text, a main cause of cultural change is A. revelation.
- Leila, who had lived all her life in Ames, Iowa, experienced disorientation when she arrived in Paris, France. Her tour guide told her not to worry; she was only experiencing what sociologists call A. culture shock.
B. jet lag.
C. cultural relativism.
- In their studies with rhesus monkeys, Margaret and Harry Harlow determined that their subjects manifested the least amount of developmental damage when they were A. raised on a diet of goat’s milk and soy meal.
B. simply left alone to fend for themselves.
C. provided with a soft terrycloth “surrogate mother.”
D. provided with a wire mesh “monkey” that included a feeding nipple.