Question 1 asks you to phrase the ISSUE as a question or controversy that the chapter addresses or explores. This is not where you summarize the whole piece, but rather….
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
Name: _________________________________ Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
Total 50 points
Mrs. Robinson is a 66-year-old female who presented to the emergency department with wheezing, difficulty breathing, right-sided chest pain with deep inspiration, nausea, and vomiting. She stated that she was in her usual state of health until she awoke at 3:00 a.m. with wheezing and was not able to go back to sleep. She was nauseous and vomited a small amount of green, blood-stained emesis. A chest x-ray was done and showed an infiltrate in the right anterior lung base with chronic pleural effusion. Mrs. Robinson’s medical history includes asthma, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) for the past 3 years, and recurring pneumonia. She weighs 170 lbs. with a BMI of 29.2. She was started on albuterol (Ventolin) nebulizer treatments and levofloxacin (Levaquin) intravenously in the emergency department.
Mrs. Robinson was admitted to the medical unit with a diagnosis of pneumonia due to recurrent aspiration related to the GERD. She remained on the levofloxacin (Levaquin) for infection and was prescribed lansoprazole (Prevacid) and ranitidine (Zantac) to prevent reflux.
1. Explain what GERD is and discuss six risk factors that increase the risk of developing GERD.
2. Explain two of the factors that contributed to the development of Mrs. Robinson’s GERD.
3. If untreated, what are three of the possible complications of GERD?
4. Discuss how the following medications work to reduce the symptoms of reflux.
a. Lansoprazole (Prevacid)
b. Ranitidine (Zantac)
5. Why are antacids not used to manage GERD?
6. Name 6 foods and medications that may precipitate an episode of reflux esophagitis?
7. How does Mrs. Robinson’s weight affect her reflux?
Make sure your writing is clear, organized and easy to understand and follow.
Check your work for spelling, grammar and punctuation.
Check the Rubric below for the grading criteria.