You are to write a two page paper (full two-pages) double-spaced as answering the following prompt. Choose one of the four main characters in Salvage the Bones (Esche, Randall, Skeetah,….
Pick a poem or song lyric that you like and copy the lyrics into a Word document
Pick a poem or song lyric that you like and copy the lyrics into a Word document. Start a careful reading by doing the following:
1. Describe the plain meaning of the text to the reader. Make sure that any difficult words are explained, especially if they are slang that has connotations the reader needs to understand.
2. Look for patterns in text, such as the first and last lines or repeated choruses.
3. Look for patterns in the words. If a word is repeated multiple times, take note.
4. Look for patterns in the sounds, such as rhymes or alliteration, and see where they are repeated and what that does to the meaning of the words.
5. Compare the patterns you found to the plain meaning of the text. Do the patterns support the plain meaning or contradict it? Do the patterns seem to have little relationship to the meaning?
6. If you like, make an observation about the quality of the text. If the author impressed you with their attention to detail or if they seemed to be putting words together just because they sounded good, this is a good place to let your reader know.