The paper is to be written in MlA format with app research in the essay on Psychosis in the news. I will leave the rubric in files and the syllabus…..
Wiggling the wrench simulates ________ waves along the string.
Questions – Each question is worth 3 points.
1. Wiggling the wrench simulates ________ waves along the string.
a. longitudinal b. transverse c. sound
2. When the wrench is wiggled, a disturbance is created which causes the string to move up and down, representing________ being propagated in a wave ALONG the string. When the wiggling of the wrench is stopped, the wave ________.
a. energy; dissipates b. matter; dissipates c. energy; is amplified
3. In part a. of the procedure, when the wrench is wiggled faster, the wave frequency ____and the wavelength____.
a. increases; decreases b. decreases; increases c. increases; increases
4. When the wrench is wiggled farther UP and DOWN, the wave amplitude:
a. increases b. decreases
5. When the end of the string is Loose or Fixed we observe ______ taking place.
a. interference b. dissipation c. amplification
6. For the experiments with the different “end” settings, which of the following statements is NOT correct?
a. Energy is conserved when there is No End, but is destroyed with the end Fixed or Loose.
b. With the end Fixed or Loose, multiple waves interact along the string.
c. With No End, a single wave is produced which propagates away from the source without returning.
1. Comparing the measured wavelengths for each of the frequencies in data table 2, the data shows us that as the frequency increases, the wavelength ______.
a. increases b. decreases
2. Wave speed is the product of frequency and wavelength: Wave speed (cm/s) = Wavelength (cm) X Frequency (Hz). Using the data you collected in experiment 2, the calculated wave speed is closest to which of the following values?
a. 2 cm/s b. 3 cm/s c. 6 cm/s
1. In comparing the measured amplitudes and wavelengths, I observed that as the damping increases, the amplitude ______ and the wavelength ___________.
a. increases; decreases b. does not change; increases c. decreases; does not change
2. In comparing the measured amplitudes and wavelengths, I observed that as the tension increases, the amplitude ______ and the wavelength ___________.
a. decreases; increases b. does not change; increases c. decreases; does not change
3. Adding damping causes the ________ travelling along the wave to be _____________.
a. matter; amplified b. energy; dissipated
4. Increasing the tension causes the speed of the ________ travelling along the wave to _____________.
a. matter; decrease b. energy; increase
5. In data table 3, compare the measured amplitude and wavelength for the original settings of Damping = None, Tension = Low to that of the other three setting combinations. Which setting combination caused greatest changes to the amplitude and wavelength from that of the original settings?
a. Damping=Lots, Tension=Low b. Damping=None, Tension=High c. Damping=Lots, Tension=High
1. Based on the definition of frequency, and in reflecting on experiment 4, the frequency units Hertz (Hz) represent:
a. the distance between wave crests or troughs
b. the speed at which the wave travels
c. the number of waves passing a given point per second
2. Based on the definition of wave period (the time it takes one complete wave to pass a given point), and in reflecting on experiment 4, the wave period would be determined by:
a. multiplying the frequency times wavelength
b. dividing the wavelength by the frequency
c. dividing 1 by the frequency, i.e., period = 1/frequency