ILOs Understand the general nature, purposes, and techniques of literature with a sense of its relationship to life and culture. Recognize a representative selection of literary works by major writers….
“Cathedral” Provide a brief character sketch of each of the three main characters.
1. Provide a brief character sketch of each of the three main characters.
2. If this is a story of redemption (which I think it is), then why does the narrator need redemption? How does this story of redemption (and Carver’s notions of redemption) compare to O’Connor’s redemption stories? Be specific.
3. How does this story fit the definition of dirty realism? Again, be specific
1. In what ways does this story fit the definition of dirty realism?
2. Provide a brief character sketch of both LeRoy and Norma Jean.
3. Obviously, their marriage is falling apart. Why? What specific problems do you see between them?
4. Compare the portrayal of marriage in “Shiloh” with the portrayal in “Cathedral.”