ILOs Understand the general nature, purposes, and techniques of literature with a sense of its relationship to life and culture. Recognize a representative selection of literary works by major writers….
Assignment: Leadership Attributes
3.3 Assignment: Leadership Attributes
In this assignment, you will read Chapter 7 of our textbook on the subject of leadership behavior. You will discover the various studies that have been done in the past to develop a theoretical understanding of leadership behavior and how it aﬀects organizational change and success. Concepts such as the Leadership Grid, the Competency Model, the Leadership Pipeline, and Community Leadership are introduced. You will also learn how organizations can properly assess leadership behavior.
Upon successful completion of this assignment, you will be able to:
- Identify team dysfunctions and develop appropriate interventions to drive enhanced organizational performance.
- Create an ethical strategy and standard for communication during change.
- Diﬀerentiate and match appropriate interventions to organizational challenges.
- Textbook: Leadership: Enhancing the Lessons of Experience
- Video: The Essence of Leadership
In Leadership: Enhancing the Lessons of Experience, Hughes, Ginnett, and Curphy (2019) state that “leadership behaviors (which include skills and competencies) are a function of intelligence, personality traits, emotional intelligence, values, attitudes, interest, knowledge, and experience” (p. 247). The authors note that:
leadership practitioners need to realize that they will ultimately be judged by the results they obtain and the behaviors they exhibit . . . [and that] prior experience, values, and attributes play critical roles in how leaders go about building teams and achieving results through others. Having the right attributes, values, and experience does not guarantee that leaders will exhibit the right behaviors, but this improves the odds considerably. (Hughes, Ginnet, & Curphy, 2019, p. 274)
Watch the video The Essence of Leadership and reflect upon the idea of trust and effective leadership.
In this assignment, you will prepare a paper on the minicase at the end of Chapter 7 about Andra Rush, a successful leader in the transportation business who exhibits a number of the behaviors you learn about in the reading for this workshop.
- Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
- Read Chapter 7 of our textbook, including all Proﬁles and Highlights for added perspective to the chapter’s content.
- Read the minicase in the textbook, “Paying Attention Pays Oﬀ for Andra Rush.”
- Write a paper in response to the three questions at the end of the case, with one citation for each question from the assigned reading in the texts above. The proper way to fulfill the requirement of providing the citations is to address the questions using the concepts from the texts and citing these as the sources of those concepts. (Note: It is not necessary to do any outside research beyond the information in the minicase and the assigned reading.) Provide a detailed explanation for your evaluation that demonstrates clear, insightful critical thinking.
- Your paper should be 500–600 words in length. Use proper spelling, grammar, and APA style in your paper and for any sources cited. For questions on APA style, go to OCLS APA Writing Styles Guides.
- When you have completed your assignment, save a copy for yourself and submit a copy to your instructor by the end of the workshop.