Compare and contrast the self-cultivation philosophies in Buddhism and Yoga, especially the Buddha’s Eightfold Path and Patañjali’s Eight Limb Program (making clear the similarities and differences). Then explain what contemporary….
Assignment: Personality Traits OCEAN
3.2 Assignment: Personality Traits OCEAN
In this assignment, you will take an OCEAN personality survey to determine your own personality traits. Through understanding your own personality style and recognizing the style of others, you will be able to adapt your leadership style to help instill a positive organizational culture. You will also develop, from your own observations, a personality profile for a person from your workplace (coworker, supervisor, subordinate, etc.). From these results, you will apply conceptual knowledge about these traits to appropriate behaviors and actions when interacting with this person.
Upon successful completion of this assignment, you will be able to:
- Assess different personality styles.
- Identify how personality styles and traits help or hinder the development of a positive culture and eliminate anxiety within an organization.
- Textbook: Leadership: Enhancing the Lessons of Experience
- Video: The Trait Approach
- Webpage: How the Big Five Personality Traits Influence Work Behavior
- Webpage: Big Five Personality Test
Much research has been conducted about what makes people behave the way they do. Behaviors are influenced by many different factors such as environment or personality traits. One of the more widely used models is the Big Five Personality Model, which states that there are five dimensions to personality.
Watch the video The Trait Approach.
A 2015 study published in the Academy of Management Journal, “The Person-Situation Debate Revisited,” found that all the traits were “more predictive of performance for jobs” when the work was performed in an unstructured environment with freedom to make choices and that the traits also indicated how a person’s specific traits would act in a situation. Also read How the Big Five Personality Traits Influence Work Behavior.
Hughes, Ginnett, and Curphy (2019) state,
If organizations can accurately identify the personality traits of leadership and the individuals who possess them, they should be able to do a better job of promoting the right people into leadership positions. And if the right people are in leadership positions, the odds of achieving organizational success should be improved dramatically. (p. 181)
Hughes, R. L., Ginnett, R. C., & Curphy, G. J. (2019). Leadership: Enhancing the lessons of experience (9th ed.). McGraw-Hill Education.
Judge, T. A., & Zapata, C. P. (2014, July 21). The person-situation debate revisited: Effect of situation strength and trait activation on the validity of the big five personality traits in predicting job performance. Academy of Management Journal, 58(4), https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2010.0837
- Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
- Read Chapter 6 of our textbook.
- Access the Truity online Big Five Personality Test.
- Take the test to determine your own personal personality profile.
- Identify a person with whom you work on a routine basis. This could be a supervisor, a department head or executive, a peer coworker, or a subordinate.
- Provide the Truity test to this person (if possible) or if not possible, take the Truity test a second time, answering the questions as you best think the person you selected would respond.
- Using Figure 6.2 from our textbook as an example, develop an infographic that represents your profile and the profile of the person you selected. Embed this infographic into the body of your paper.
- For the two traits with the greatest score difference between your assessment and the assessment of the other person, write a paragraph describing your rating and the other person’s rating.
- Identify one observable behavior (for the other person) for each trait to support your rating.
- Describe if each behavior identified helps or hinders the development of a positive culture and elimination of anxiety within the organization. Include citations to support your conclusions for the two behaviors with the largest difference in scores.
- Summarize your assessment in two final paragraphs:
- Of the two traits with the largest gap in score, which will be the most challenging to overcome? Provide an explanation with sound reasoning in your response.
- Describe how completion of the assessment on the other person provided you with additional insight into that person.
- Your paper should be 400–500 words in length. Use proper spelling, grammar, and APA style in your paper and for any sources cited. For question on APA style, go to OCLS APA Writing Styles Guides.
- When you have completed your assignment, save a copy for yourself and submit a copy to your instructor by the end of the workshop.