- The Unit 1 Practicum Assignment is worth 150 points and will be graded using the designated rubric. Grading criteria include quality of content, appropriate citations, use of Standard English grammar, and overall organization and readability.
- Create your assignment using a Microsoft Word application. The document should be saved in a .doc or .docx format.
- The paper should be 3 to 5 pages in length excluding title page and reference pages and appendix. Content should be rich and concise.
- APA format is required.
- The following sections should be included and denoted through APA section headings in the paper:
- Executive Summary
- Introduction to Current situation
- Action Program
- Financial Expectations
- Appendix A: Interview transcript
- Appendix B: Media materials for implementation
- Executive Summary
Preparing the paper:
- Browse the internet for various cultural competence assessment tools. Choose a tool that could be utilized at your practice site (Family Practice )at the organizational level. Write a brief summary of what the tool is and how it should be utilized.
- Examine the literature surrounding a best practice topic that applies to your practice setting and addresses cultural diversity or cultural competence.
- Examine a policy surrounding cultural diversity at the organization you are working for. If there is not a policy at the organization, find a policy that belongs to a national or local nursing body and examine that.
- Interview an organizational leader about cultural diversity within the organization. How does the organization utilize this? Discuss the policy that you located and ask how it is enforced at the organizational level? What are the difficulties surrounding the policy? What strengths does the organization have that allow for a culturally diverse workforce and population served? Ask permission to present an implementation plan through an appropriate venue to the organization. (One example might be creating a YouTube presentation that will go on the organizations intranet or social media site. Another example might be presenting at a board or staff meeting for 10 minutes.) Submit a transcript of the interview.
- Use the information you have gathered to implement or disseminate a cultural/diversity awareness intervention. Acceptance of dissemination is not required for successful completion of this project. However, the student will still be required to ask and create as though they would disseminate. One tip if the students offer is not well received would be to submit a media item (ppt) to the person via email as a dissemination to an organizational leader.
- In your final submission, include: An executive summary detailing your intervention, the literature that supports this, and how the policies already in place support this. Additionally, attach the transcript of your interview and any media materials for the intervention that was implemented or disseminated.
RUBRIC: 15 pts
The issue is introduced including significance to nursing leadership and the host organization. Pertinent background information or scholarly evidence are presented to support the intervention proposal. Current situation is fully explored including discussion of current organizational policy compliance/use pertaining to the problem/topic and how this might relate to the vision/mission of the organization. A cultural competence tool is proposed for use as it relates to the host organization and any current policy.
Identifies clearly at least 3 objectives of the proposed intervention. The objectives proposal is measurable and realistic and directly relates to diversity in patient care, health care organizations, or research. The proposed intervention plan will directly meet the objectives listed within the timeframe specified.
Discussion includes specific strategies to meet objectives listed. Includes current organizational culture issues to be addressed, what internal or external resources currently exist that could be utilized, potential internal/external resource acquisition may be required to accomplish the objectives, and strategies for utilizing these resources appropriately. Briefly discuss methodology for intervention, evaluation, and analysis phases.
Identify specific initial steps that will be taken to accomplish the listed objectives. Provide appropriate timelines for each action as well as timeline for completion of the intervention and evaluation of the intervention. Discuss specific stakeholders that should be involved in the action plan, who will contact them and how, as well as timelines for this. Action plan will result in meeting objectives.
A brief summary of financial implication is provided. Includes specific information pertaining to intervention, evaluation, and analysis phase relating to the host organization. All resources (including technology, stakeholders, consultants, etc) used in the action plan are addressed in this section with consideration to finances.
Interview transcript provided. CV of individual interviewed provided as evidence that the person interviewed was appropriate for the topic being explored. Intervention media also submitted and is appropriate to the topic. Intervention media directly correlated with executive summary proposed intervention. If alternative intervention is used, rationale is provided and justified.
APA rules regarding level headings, page/paragraph format, and citations in the body of the paper adhere to APA format as well as references noted at the end of the paper (no more than one to two errors). No more than 25% of your paper should be direct quotes.