- Biological causal factors of anorexia nervosa include genetic predisposition, serotonin regulation, and physiologic weight set points. Given the prevalence of this disorder, it seems unlikely that biological causes alone could account for it.
Research eating disorders using your textbook and the Argosy University online library resourcesthe Internet, read:
- National Institute of Mental Health. (2010). Eating disorders. Retrieved from http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/eating-disorders/complete-index.shtml
- National Eating Disorders Association Web site. Retrieved from http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/
. Based on your research, respond to the following:
- Comment on the relative strengths of biological causes compared to sociological or individual causes. Consider the types of anorexia nervosa in your argument.
- Explain any treatment strategies that would support your argument.
- Does obesity share anything in common with anorexia nervosa? Consider obesity causal factors and whether obesity is truly a mental disorder.
Write your initial response in 3–4 paragraphs. If you refer to research information, cite sources applying APA standards