Leadership Style Reflective Essay
This assignment focuses on the importance of self‐assessment and reflection.
Self‐awareness is essential for developing leadership skills. Recognizing your own strengths, weaknesses, and values, and understanding emotional intelligence and learning styles can help you to be a more effective nurse leader.
For this assignment, you have the opportunity to take a variety of self‐assessments to learn more about yourself and identify your assets and weaknesses as a leader. This will assist you in discovering how you can improve your own self‐leadership skills. You will be asked to think critically about your results and submit a reflection as directed below.
Select three of the following self‐assessments and complete them. Be sure to document the results of each assessment to assist you in completing the reflection portion of the assignment below.
1. Emotional Intelligence Assessment: “Emotional Intelligence Test”: https://www.psychologytoday.com/tests/personality/emotional‐intelligence‐test
2. Personality Assessment: “Free Personality Test”: https://www.16personalities.com/free‐personality‐test
3. Learning Styles Assessment: “Values Profile”: http://vark‐learn.com/the‐vark‐questionnaire/
4. Values Assessment: “Values Profile”: https://www.psychologytoday.com/tests/personality/values‐profile
5. Values Assessment: “Rokeach Values Survey”: http://faculty.wwu.edu/tyrank/Rokeach%20Value%20Survey.pdf
6. Diversity Assessment: “Cultural Competence Self‐Test”: http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/SENIORS‐DISABILITIES/DD/PROVIDERS‐PARTNERS/SCPAconference/Cultural%20Competence%20Self‐Test.pdf
Becoming self‐aware is an ongoing process requiring introspection. The more often people practice self‐reflection, the more opportunities they have to understand their own behaviors and adapt their approaches to working with other people, which can improve both your own and other’s abilities to meet their professional goals.
In a 750‐1,000 word reflective essay, address the following:
7. Briefly summarize why you selected each self‐assessment and the results you obtained on each assessment.
8. Identify the leadership style that closely aligns to your philosophy of care, and explain what appeals to you about that style.
9. Reflect on how you might incorporate elements of that particular style as you exercise leadership in a practice or health care organization setting.
10. Discuss any particular areas for improvement the assessments helped you identify and some steps for improving your leadership capabilities.
You are required to cite three to five sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and nursing content.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.