Hist 1302 Exam I
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, here it is!
In order to pass to must use evidence from the assigned textbook chapters, electronic readings, and lectures for each response; cite using CMS (thus you need to attach a ‘Bibliography’ page); and, respond fully and completely to three questions in at least 9 double-spaced pages total (3 pages per response). Do NOT use unassigned sources. Do NOT use Wikipedia or any other pretend knowledge site. This is not a research paper. Rather this is a test to see how closely and carefully you listened to the lectures and read the textbook and electronic readings.
Select one (1) from each letter group:
- The Gilded Age
- Examine the pro and con of the “Robber Barons.”
- Examine the US government’s effort to “deal” with the Indians from 1877 through 1900 to include warfare, treaties, and the Reservation system.
- Examine how Americas connected their ideas of “liberty” with the West.
- Why do historians call this period the “Gilded Age”? Is it an accurate description?
- Rise of Modern America
- Examine the relationship between business interests and the federal government. What accounts for the close relations?
- Examine the rise of “modern America”. What changes took place and what accounted for those changes?
- What were Americans’ ideas on liberty during the Gilded Age?
- Examine US foreign policy during the Progressive Era. Was the US an imperial power?
- The Progressive Era
- How did roles for women change during the Progressive era?
- How did American ideas on liberty change during the Progressive era?
- How did the Great War effect American liberty?
- Examine African Americans and the Great War.
- What was “new” about the “New Negro”?