According the text book The American Nurses Association’s Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice (3rd ed.) discusses integrating the art and science of nursing. Describe how science and art are synthesized in the practice of nursing.
The course outcomes to meet include:
- -Examine the roles and responsibilities of the professional nurse related to promoting health and wellness. (COs 1, 2, and 3)
- -Explain how the American Nurses Association Scope and Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics serve as a foundation for nursing practice and health promotion. (COs 1, 2, and 4)
- -Compare and contrast the nursing process and clinical reasoning. (COs 1, 2, and 3)
- -Apply knowledge of the nursing role to promoting healthy behaviors in others. (COs 2 and 3)
- -Describe how the nursing process is utilized to promote the health of individuals and families. (COs 1 and 2)
Nursing is a complex profession that combines art and science. I believe that it is one of the few jobs that have this gift. Every day we touch the lives of a diverse population. There are fundamental standards and codes we must abide. While upholding these standards, we must continue to educate ourselves and show compassion to our patients (Potter, Perry, Stockert, & Hall, 2017). As with other disciplines, we hear of stories about how individuals stray from the oath or pledge they took to care for those in need. When we no longer function in the role of a nurse who promotes health and wellness, we bring harm to those who we are charged with caring. As you develop your nursing craft at mixing art and science of nursing, consider the implications of not being able to manage both of these aspects of nursing successfully. Take a look at this 2 min video: