Subject: anthropology. Please do the readings and write a reading response.
On the first page: please select 2 from the 7 quotes and explain the quote in your own words, discuss its significance in the reading.
1. We have no history: Our history begins today. (Tanaka)
2. It is hard for us today to imagine such temporally heterogenous worlds. Yet prior to this reform, time was not unified; several calendars (all lunar) excited in the archipelago. (Tanaka)
3. These inherited ideas and customs that explained the connection of humans to humans and to the environment now became anachronistic. (Tanaka)
4. There were plenty of Japanese in this country who had been reared in Japan and I could ask them about the concrete facts of their own experiences, find out how they judged them. (Benedict)
5. They hoped to reconstitute the people into more than simply objects of rule, so that they could become knowledgeable and self-disciplined subjects in the dual Foucauldian sense—that is, subjects who were not only subjected to control and dependence, but who were also subjects possessed of their own identity by a “conscience or self-knowledge” (Fujitani)
6. Nowadays Japan appears to form an almost natural political community, with its people possessing a remarkably uniform culture and national identity…But this strong sense of national consciousness and identity that has characterized the modern Japanese is less a product of natural <link is hidden> of strategically motivated cultural policies pursued by Japan’s elite. (Fujitani)
7. After its defeat, Japan’s status as occupier was easily translated into that of the occupied though the familiar tropes of colonial power relations; once the United States displaced Japan and Japan took up the position of Asia in the drama, Asia was squeezed out. (Igarashi, pg.35 under Japan as colonial Other)
On the second page: write two short paragraphs in response: what have you learned about the modern in Japan from Fujitani and Tanaka, about cultural anthropology, the Anthropology of Japan thus far, including Kelly and Ivy, and about Japan?