Fish oil in knee osteoarthritis
Assessment Description, Articles, and Templates for Enquiry
This 1,500 word Critical Appraisal Assignment.
You must choose ONE of the three articles and submit your completed template for assessment.(I have chosen below one)
The template = the questions you need to answer. Use these to structure your assignment.
You must cross-check completion of the checklist with the corresponding CASP Checklist also. (It has been attached)
- Hill, C.L., March, L.M., Aitken, D., Lester, S.E., Battersby, R., Hynes, K., … Jones, G. (2016). Fish oil in knee osteoarthritis: a randomised clinical trial of low dose versus high dose. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, 75:23-29. Doi:L10.1136/annrheumdis-2014-207269
Template for Article #1
Section 1: What was the study about? (see the introduction and method sections)
- What was the research question?
- Who was eligible to participate in the study?;
- How many groups were there and what did each group receive?
- What outcomes (dependent variables) were measured and when?
Section 2: What is the risk of bias in the study? (see the method section)
- How did the researchers control allocation bias?Were participants randomly assigned to groups and how as this doneWas the allocation sequence concealed?
- How did the researchers control performance bias?Were participants blind?Was blinding successful?Were the people providing the intervention blind?
- How did the researchers control detection bias? Were the outcome assessors blind?
- How did the researchers control attrition bias? What was the withdrawal rate (loss to follow up) in each group over time? Did they use intention to treat analysis?
APA 6: STYLE NOTES: FORMATTING YOUR DOCUMENT
- 12-point type size (never use a larger point size for headings or on the title page).
- Use Times or Times New Roman.
- Place page numbers in the top right hand corner.
- 2.54 cm at the top, bottom, left-hand, and right-hand sides of the page.
(Do not insert extra lines between paragraphs or the references list entries.)
one space after all punctuation except
- certain periods within abbreviations, quotations or parentheses (e.g., p.m.; “et al., 2014”)
- colons in ratios (10:1)
- full stops in the narrative. Use two spaces between sentences.
Rules for the use of indents:
- Indent the first line of each paragraph (using the tab key or paragraph tool).
- Exceptions: abstract, block quotations, titles and headings, table titles and notes.
- Apply the hanging indent for the second and subsequent lines of a reference.
Hughes, F. (2008). Leadership in mental health nursing. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services, 46, 8-9. Retrieved from http://www.healio.com/psychiatry/journals/jpn
Justification of text
- All text, except headings, needs to be aligned to the left, not justified.