Which region of the Western hemisphere was home to the most complex of Amerind civilizations?
A) North America
C) South America
31) The Maya resemble the Akkadians and Aryans in what sense?
A) In creating large pyramid complexes.
B) In their linguistic roots.
C) In having conquered and then adopted the practices of an earlier civilization.
D) In having a state religion founded on human sacrifice.
32) Which people built San Lorenzo and Tres Zapotes? A) Olmec B) Maya C) Toltec D) Apache
33) Which people created the famous heads of San Lorenzo?
34) According the Long Count calendar, when is the world scheduled to end?
35) Which of the following does NOT accurately describe the Long Count calendar?
A) It was created by the Mayan Indians.
B) It contained a cogwheel with 365 notches for the days of the solar year.
C) It contained a cogwheel with 260 notches for the days of the sacred almanac.
D) It was useful in the areas of astronomy and agriculture.
36) Which civilization most profoundly affected the development of Mayan society?
37) Which of the following civilizations did NOT believe in the idea of recurrent historical cycles?
38) Which of the following does NOT accurately describe Mayan society?
A) Free peasants and serfs were commoners.
B) Merchants were commoners.
C) Slavery was hereditary.
D) Priests were part of the nobility.
39) Which of the following does NOT accurately portray Mayan religion?
A) The practice of bloodletting was a common ritual.
B) The Maya feared death because they thought most common people went to the underworld.
C) Only kings and priests were allowed to take part in religious rituals.
D) They were polytheistic.
40) Teotihuacán had about how many pyramids?
41) Which of the following does NOT accurately describe the Mayan civilization?
42) What was the status of the Maya about 700?
A) Maya culture survived.
B) The Maya states were at their height.
C) Maya states were just emerging.